Friday, April 8, 2011

My Reflections

Being artistic is the name of my game. I enjoy writing, performing and being out and in of my comfort zone. As a journalism student, I enjoy being able to think on my feet, to inform others of new facts. It has always been a dream of mine to be the one who saves the day. In addition to this, I like being part of a team, learning new things every day and feeling obligated to responsibility.
As much as I enjoy the interaction in this profession, it has it abilities to drain oneself.  I dislike the thought of my ideas not going as far as they possibly could and basically being restricted to what I have to say. Since the establishment of press freedom and how far it has come, I feel I have every right to say as I feel and hide under the freedom of expression.
If I were to pursue online journalism as a whole, I would enhance my practical side and place my theory into practice as I am not fully confident in this specific area of interest. I would ensure I meet all deadlines with more confidence and surety of what I am doing. In creating my stories I had no difficulty as the platform of information was provided. I have internet access always, guideline from the journalism code of ethics knowing what I am allowed to do and what is against the law. I enjoyed making world stories my own and placing my creativity without worrying about whether I plagiarised from other works.
In future, I would like to enhance my ability to research on matters that affect people near me. The best decision I ever made was definitely enrolling myself into the bachelor of art and majoring in journalism, because it has given me a platform to write and speak on issues that affect those around me and help me educate the ignorant and illiterate. The worst decision I ever made was probably not being able to welcome a guest lecturer at one of the lectures last year as that would have been somewhat a personal achievement. If I approached my lecturer and asked for the part or  placed myself on a pedestal of confidence that opportunity would have been satisfying.
This year I have learnt that journalism needs more confidence and intelligence than I anticipated. I am a creative writer and learning other types of journalism such as feature and hard news writing has been a little bit of a challenge as I was so comfortable with what I know. I am grateful fot the opportunity to have learnt about blogs and pitching of stories because, without these tools I for one would still writing my ideas in my diary and researching for my own interests as I would not share my ideas.

Academically, I managed to pitch on deadlines and during internships a problem I had and seemed to be a weakness. As for now, I can have five to seven stories at once that I can pitch and write on at any given time. This has surprised me as I did not know I’d work well under pressure. I personally would like to learn more about HTML’s as this bothers me a whole lot. If I had the chance I would seek more assistance. 
For this portfolio, My goals were to ensure I was heading down the right path and that some goals I established last year were met. To ensure my ideology of success expanded on what I already learnt. Some strength on my portfolio are that I have interned to at least 2 media organisation where I was taught how to structure my articles and how they need to be presented to audience, also being able to work well with others in a newsroom.
When I look back at the work I have done, I see that its raw talent that needed to be put to practice as I had no idea there were rules and regulations that could restrict one on content. Some weaknesses I observed are that I cannot specify exactly which field I am best suited for as I have become attached to every part of this profession. Other weaknesses could be that I have not had as much experience as others.
An entry I am most fascinated by is my articles on Secret societies as I took my time researching and ensuring my facts were credited.  I basically read books on big families such as the freemasons who use the world economies for power and control, the rockerfellas who also were after economy and population control.
My most challenging moment was definitely getting equipment to interview people around me and people refusing to comment as they considered it a dangerous subject. It was a challenge because a journalist always needs sources to make her work credible. I overcame these obstacles as there were online footage available where people all over the world spoke freely about secret societies.  My article was done in the right framework and I personally felt satisfied with it as enough information was provided.
As of next semester, I plan on working on my presentation skill as I lack confidence and tend to pull or hold back information in feat of rejection of ideas.  My goals are to make the best out of each opportunity I get, Work harder and ensure all of this years and last year’s goals are met.

No comments:

Post a Comment